Jan 19, 2010

What Everyone Should Know About Refurnishing a Table

1. KNOW what you want...because once you do it, it's really hard to go back to how it was originally, if not impossible. I have been wanting a pretty, white, round dining table for some time now, and I was fortunate to inherit a really nice, oak table from my husband's grandfather. I knew that once I sanded off that nice finish, there was no going back.
2. Keep in mind the chairs that will surround it. I kinda forgot that mine are covered in a cream fabric, not white, and look a little off. But, my apartment is full of white and cream, and I think the elements of the room will work well together as a whole.
3. If possible, refurnish in the fall or spring. Most paints and finishes work the best in temperatures between 50 and 90 degrees. If you are impatient and the opposite of a perfectionist, like me, you will probably do it when you want and be fine with the results :)
These are all of the photos I looked to for inspiration. I wanted more of a whitewashed, weathered look, and searched the web for ways I could do that. I ended up sanding off the finish on the top of the table and painting it with a watered-down white paint. I then wiped the paint off so the wood grain would show through. It is hard to see the top in these pictures.
For the legs of the table, I just painted a light layer of white primer directly on top of the finish. I tried to keep my strokes going the same direction as the grain of the wood, but I could have done a lot better...please don't look too closely :)
I sanded off edges to give it that "used" look and then sprayed it with an acrylic, clear protective finish. I used Krylon Crystal Clear Satin so it wouldn't be shiny or glossy.


Posted Here

Come Back Friday the 19th of March for the first Favorite Things Friday!


Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This

28 comments:

Natalie Smith said...

WOW...Good job. It looks great!

Elizabeth said...

It looks cute!

Youngs said...

i LOVE the way it turned out!! i've been eyeing my hutch, wondering if i'd like it better refinished -- seeing this i think i might try it out!! thanks for your inspiration!

Danielle said...

Great job! I love how you made it white-washed.

The Harkers said...

Thanks for the tips, I need to refinish our table soon!

Jami - XOimagine said...

These are beautiful tables! Nice job on doing you own! New to your blog and looking forward to reading more.

I'm featuring a new artist on my blog today! http://jamigoldsmith-imagine.blogspot.com/ She's an emerging painter from Canada. Please check her out! And have a great weekend!

xo, Jami

Kimba said...

Wow! Very pretty! And those are awesome tips that you gave.

Daniella said...

Ooooh... that kitchen with the chandelier and white chairs is gorgeous! Thanks you so much for your sweet comment on my blog too :)

Lettered Cottage said...

Great job!

I can't wait to blog about my "new" table too! :-)

Layla

Lost In Tarnation said...

Great job!! It turned out fantastic!

Hootin Anni said...

Amazing...the work is terrific. Job well done.

TIGERS for my Show n Tell

Debbiedoos said...

You are right about knowing what you want, there is no going back!!~ I once did a table with a checkered board pattern on top...I truly loved it!~ You table turned out awesome!

Marianne said...

Lovely table! You really made it sing. And I love the combo with the chairs. It works in my book.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Soooo Chic!

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Kaysi said...

Looks great!

Tiffany said...

So pertty! Love the distressed kind of look!
-Tiff

Diann said...

Great job!

deb said...

Awesome job!!
*hugs*deb

Betty said...

Very nice job!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Great job!!! Love & blessings from NC!

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

I love your table!

Allison @ http://www.houseofhepworths.com/

Renee said...

I love your table, I have an oak table that I really want to paint but I'm not sure how my husband will react.
Great job!!

Victoria said...

I love it and I don't think it really matters if you can see brush strokes...it gives it a unique rustic look:)

my home sanctuary said...

Love it. Thanks for the encouragement to just go for it. I am ready to paint an oak pedestal table alot like yours black. I think yours is great.
Thanks for sharing.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Luv your table makeover! Thanks for coming to my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY...hope to see you here next week:) Hope you have a wonderful WEDNESDAY!

Blessings,
Linda

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

your table looks beautiful! You did a great job.
gail

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Love the table & thanks for the GREAT painting tips!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Wow-great job--congrats on acquiring it for FREE. I have a big oval wood table like the round on in picture 1.

Thanks for posting to the party.
My favs will be up this evening.
Cheri www.itssoverycheri.com
Have you Re-signed up to follow me again, here at my NEW blog? If not you will not get updates--blame Google not me. I don't know what they think they are going to do with my followers-they don't need them.