May 10, 2010

Orange Rolls for Easter and Every Time of Year

Growing up, my mom used to make these orange rolls every Easter.  I decided this year that I would make this a tradition in my family.  I know this post is a little late, but I really think these rolls are perfect for every time of year.

For those of you who know me, you know how bad I am at cooking and how much I hate it.  These were really fun to do though!  And, if I can do them so can anyone. 


A helper is not required but definitely suggested :)

Mix together:
2 Cups Warm water
2 Tbs. Yeast
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Oil
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1 Egg
3 Cups Flour

Gradually Add 3 more cups of flour


Knead the dough on flour-dusted counter until it looks like this:


Place the dough in a bowl greased with Pam and then spray the top of the dough with Pam.


If you are making the dough the night before put cellophane over it and put it in the fridge.  If you are going to finish them that same day put a towel over the top and place the bowl somewhere warm or just room temperature to let the dough rise.  Let it rise about 2 hours or so.


Once it has risen (whether in the fridge or on the counter) separate it into 3 sections to roll out like this:


Make the inside by combining:

3 Tbs. orange zest (it uses about 1 medium orange)
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 cube softened butter (recipe calls for 1/2 cube but I wanted them to be more "desserty")


Spread on the rolled out dough:


Roll up the dough "hot dog style" so it is long and skinny.


Use dental floss to cut into rolls.  About 1 1/2 inches thick.  Do the same with the other 2 sections of the dough.


Place in greased pan and let rise another couple hours before cooking at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes (keep your eye on them)  I like them a little doughy, so I would take them out a little early.


To make the glaze for the top:

Use the juice of the orange you used along with powdered sugar until desired consistency.

I made a little extra glaze with just powd. sugar and milk to make them even healthier. :)


I added the glaze a little before and after I cooked them.  I didn't take a pic, but they look like this when done:



I linked this post HERE.


Crazy Daisy Button
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This

25 comments:

Judy@judyfriendphotography.com said...

I to am not fond of the kitchen. I would like to turn it into a den with a coffee maker and microwave. What more do you need! LOL...thanks for sharing the recipe; I'm going to try it sometime. Jude

Yellow House said...

Yum! That looks like something I could handle!

Recaptured Charm said...

That looks amazing. I'll definitely try them. I'd say you did very well in the kitchen!
Lisa

Danielle said...

Mmmm these sound great! Allie is getting so big :)

Jamie Clark said...

These are the best! Now I want to make them. :)

Adventures in Art said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe. I've got to try it. Your little helper will have wonderful memories to share.

chris said...

My mom has a similar recipe, I like to make these for Easter.

Unknown said...

I've never heard of these before. They sound delicious and refreshing. Thanks for sharing!!! :-)

Jen said...

This may be a dumb question, but how much is a cube of butter? A Tbsp? An entire stick?

Mayhem and Moxie said...

Hello Pioneer Woman! Loved this post. I should probably know better than to read something like this before breakfast. Now I'm hungry. :)

-Francesca

Alli said...

Those look absolutely delicious! I love anything baked and orange! I'll definitely be making these soon! Found you on Tip Junkie!

Brooke said...

These look SO yummy. I bookmarked it. I wish I could eat one right now! :) I found you on DIY Day at ASPTL! :) Have a great day!

Heidi said...

Hi Jessica,
Wow, I can almost taste them! I always make orange rolls for Christmas morning, but (how embarassing to admit) I've always used the Pillsbury kind - you know, the ones in the can - how lazy is that? I love to bake, but just never leave enough time in the mornings. If these really will rise in the fridge I will try your recipe right away. It seems easy and I know it will be delicious.
Thanks for linking to Wednesday Gratitude!
Have a good week,
XO
Heidi - Heart and Home

Katie P said...

These look DELICIOUS! Saw them on Backyard Eden link party, couldn't help but take a look! And what an adorable little helper!

Katie P
http://foodwineandmodpodge.blogspot.com/

Kate said...

These look AMAZING!

Sachiko said...

These look soo yummy, thank you for the great recipe and pictures!

seven thirty three said...

Yum! These look so good! I HATE cooking as well, but maybe I can make these work.

Thanks for linking up with Sugar & Spice.

Helena said...

Mmm, these look so yummy. I am definitely going to try these!

Thanks for linking this up to A Little Creative Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

Andy Porter said...

I love orange rolls more than life. OK, maybe not more than life, but they sure are delicious!!! Thanks for the recipe! It never crossed my mind to make them without a mix! How sad am I!!! Thanks for the link!

Carrie said...

YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM....

Okay, I'm bookmarking it right now. I wonder if I could make the dough in the bread machine and then follow the recipe from there? They look AMAZING, so it's worth a shot. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Orange Rolls are my boys favorite breakfast ever! Thanks for linking to Tuesday Tastes! You may have forgotten to link up, when you have a chance grab a button or link up! I would hate for your yummy recipe to be disqualified from the People's Choice Award!

Happy Day,
Jasey @ Crazy Daisy
www.crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Oh my, no worries! I just didn't want you to be disqualified from People's Choice Award. Please don't give it another thought! I am so happy to have you over at the Tuesday Tastes Party!

Tiffanee said...

Yum!! Thanks for such good pictures of all the steps. Your helper is so cute!! Thanks for sharing!!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

They look fantastic and fun to make! Thanks for a great recipe!

Unknown said...

I am sooo loving this recipe! It looks like you might have grabbed the award button, instead of the party button. No worries though. I need to make that more clear! Thanks for linking to Tuesday Tastes! Polls just opened for the People's Choice Award! Stop by and and vote when you get a chance -just click on your fav recipe!

Happy Day,
Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

http://crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com/2010/05/tuesday-tastes-8.html